Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Meaning of Me

The Twin Towers
A gross magnification of Me

My life dramas
Are going on outside the kitchen sink
As are yours
If you would only take your stunned syes
Off the TV and question the myth
Unfolding before you for meaning.
The Me in the Mean
And the Me in the theMe

Trivialized
By vicarious fascination
you sit on the couch watching
or I sit on the meditation bench
Not witnessing
The greater story unfold
As though I had no part in it
As though it were beyond my concern
The story is completely shielded from my reflections, both in the mirror
And in the shades that reflect only
Me, Me, Me
The perfect and impenetrable fortress against
Hunger
Poverty
Grief
War
And Love
A private cocoon of misery
Reflected in a public cocoon of
Mystery

But cocoons give birth to chrysalis
And butterflies are free.

No comments: