Sunday, August 3, 2008

Magic Nothing

Tired, tired.
My mind wanders blindly
My heart is unsteady
I am fearful and restless
With fatigue.

I want to uplift myself
But the will is weak.
What do I need to counteract
restlessness?
Rest. Of course.
I sleep.

The Tao incomprehensible to me
I write, I writhe in ignorance
Hoping that I will stumble upon it,
Stub my toe on it stupidly
And as I pick up the offending rock
To fling it away in anger
There it lies underneath,
Shining, innocent, waiting…
Waiting for me.

I pick it up, my magic Nothing.
And slip it in my pocket
I walk on, happy……


But that hasn’t happened yet.

It was a wish, a whim,
my heart’s desire.
And desire is the culprit
Desire makes me culpable
Makes me succumb to Cupid.
Cupidity! Stupidity!
Did I imagine that my vow
would go unchallenged?
And would not the challenge be
in a form most alluring to me?
Cupid’s bow is playing a poem
That pulls on my heart-strings.
And I fall into the muddy pit of
my own desire.

Awaiting the Tao
Which looks like Nothing
Not even my desire for it.

I can stop this Now.
In an instant it was and is no more.

No comments: